The Journal of the Friends of Sywell Aerodrome
No. 8 Summer 2002
Sywell's Royal Visitors
The first Royal visit was on 8th June 1934 when a Vickers Viastra of the King's flight landed at Sywell with HRH Edward Prince of Wales on board on his way to the County Show at Kettering.
HRH Edward Prince of Wales at the
Clubhouse, Sywell in June 1934.
While at the Aerodrome his Highness was greeted by the Company's Directors and then walked through the garden talking to Charles Newton to visit the Clubhouse and Passenger Terminal, now known as the Aviator Hotel. He then left via the Cirrus Room.
Her Majesty The Queen visited Sywell Aerodrome on 8th July 1965 after a tour of the County and tea with Earl Spencer at Althorp. Her Majesty later embarked a Hawker Siddeley Andover C.C2 of the Queen's flight and left.
Since that time there have been various unofficial visits (therefore no photographs) by a Wessex of the Royal Flight with HRH Prince Charles aboard to refuel on the way to or from official visits.
HRH The Queen Mother was an important customer to Sloane Helicopters and regularly chartered an Augusta 109 helicopter in order to carry out her demanding schedule of Royal visits.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and HRH Prince Philip using Sywell during a visit to the county in 1962.
The Duchess of Gloucester inspects the Air Rangers.
The Prince of Wales greeted on arrival by (left to right): Earl Spencer, Duncan Davis,
Charles Newton, Geoffrey Shaw, Eric Davis and Harry Shale on 8th June 1934 on his way to the County Show at Kettering.